Skip to main content

I know why the caged bird sings...

 
One of my favorite authors and poets is Dr. Maya Angelou.  I love listening to her recite it because nobody else can do it quite the way she does.  There's something about the wisdom in her voice, the experience behind her eyes and the emphasis and inflection of her words.  When I was in high school I read the first part of her autobiography, I know Why the Caged Bird Sings, and always wondered why she had chosen that title.  I read the book and began to understand, but as I kept on living, I found out for myself.




Birds are built for flight.  Their aerodynamic bodies, wings, feet, even the placement and pattern of their feathers enhance the bird's ability to soar.  When a bird is in it's natural element it flies effortlessly, picks up and goes as it pleases, coasts on the wind and flies above the environment it was born in.  So in case you haven't made the connection yet, let me help you out....

Each of us were created with specifications tailored to our purpose and destiny, and just like that caged bird we are sometimes put in a situation that limits our flight and ability to soar.  No matter what our life holds, at some point or another we're all like that caged bird... bursting on the inside desiring to take flight but only able to flap our wings and hop down off the perch. Dying a million slow deaths because we aren't doing what we were made specifically to do... just waiting for the chance to break free...

Since the bird can't fly what does it do??  It sings... it chirps... it cries out...  Just like we do.  Our ability to fly may be temporarily taken away, but that doesn't mean we can't sing.  The sound you release is unique to you, just as the bird's song is.  The bird's song is used to communicate with other birds, to court a mate, and sometimes to ward off predators.  So as we release our sound, we communicate with other birds, we connect with others in the spirit... we court our mate... the sound of our praise brings the presence of God to where we are.... and we ward off the enemy.. demons, devils, and flesh can't linger in His presence...

Ephesians 5:19 addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart,

So if you find yourself caged by circumstances, fear, doubt, inability, qualifications, bad decisions, regret, assignment, or any number of things... don't lose your song.  Don't lose your praise.  Nobody can give God your praise, it's as individual and unique as your fingerprint.  Your sound is birthed out of your experiences, your knowledge and revelation of who God is, and your relationship with Him.

Although I am by no means a great singer, I often wake up with a song of praise in my heart and on my lips.  I sing when mere talking doesn't express what I have to say, I sing to encourage myself, to calm my spirit.... More than anything I sing when my heart is overwhelmed.  It may not sound all that hot to anybody else, but it's beautiful to God... I know why the caged bird sings...






    The caged bird sings 
    with a fearful trill  
    of things unknown  
    but longed for still  
    and his tune is heard
    on the distant hill  
    for the caged bird  
    sings of freedom.
                                      Dr. Maya Angelou
 

Comments

Order Your Copy Today!

Translate