Skip to main content

Live and Learn



It's teacher Appreciation Day and I would be in error if I didn't shout out all of my teachers and all of my friends that are blessed and gifted to carry this mantle.  Whether you teach at school, in church, academics, music, sign language, dance, Sunday School, art, makeup, or anything in between... Thank You!  It takes a special person with lots of love, compassion, and patience to teach others.   I have to give a special thank you to two of my favorite teachers.  Mrs. Connie Murphy,  my elementary school Art teacher and Mrs. Joan Stafford, my senior English teacher.  These two ladies established and set my creative foundation.  I was the Art helper for a few years in Elementary School and Art was always my favorite class. Mrs. Murphy always inspired us, encouraged us to be different and expressive in our artwork and kept us motivated when things didn't turn out quite the way we wanted.  Mrs. Stafford helped my love for writing blossom.  She was the first teacher who really noticed my gift and challenged me in it.  These two ladies gave me what I needed to be fearless creatively and for that, I thank them.

I've had many great teachers along my journey, both natural and spiritual.  Ms. Cavanaugh was my History teacher and she taught me about different learning styles, Dr. Placido made grad school fun by letting us color and play with play dough,  and Dr. Leggett wore fuzzy character shoes to class and taught us not to take ourselves too seriously.  Mr. Coleman taught us that life isn't Burger King and we can't always have it our way.  My mom taught me how to be a proverbs 31 woman and my dad taught me not to let everybody be the boss of me all the time.  Elder Michael Johnson taught me to always be ready and Pastor Larry Weathers taught me how to rightly divide the word & how to study the Bible.  Sis. Wilma Matthews taught me that sometimes a hug can make all the difference in the world.  Johnny Bullard & Nana Wanda taught me the true value of a home cooked meal. My mom's best friend, Furman, taught me to broaden my horizons and always try new things.  My babies teach me how to enjoy life and not take the simple things for granted. My friends teach me all kinds of crazy stuff, K'Anthone taught me to express my love while I'm able and Christopher taught me how to love like Christ.

I said all of that to say this, the lessons we learn aren't always developed from textbooks and a syllabus but they are always valuable.  The Bible tells us in Proverbs 18:15 ESV

An intelligent heart acquires knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge.

You can learn something from everyone and every situation.  The best lessons sometimes come from the least expected places. The disciples were not sitting in classrooms and writing 15 page papers.   They were following Jesus, listening intently and following His example.  We should all be striving to be life long learners.  Knowledge is the key to growth, victory, and perseverance.  Without it we'll fail, we continue to make the same mistakes over and over again, we approach things the wrong way, we function from a place of error and can even self destruct.

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children. Hosea 4:6 KJV 

Keep searching for truths, keep asking for wisdom, keep reading and learning.  You're never too old to learn and never too young to teach.  When it's your turn to teach remember to be humble and never become so educated that you're no longer teachable.  I am a self-proclaimed nerd and bookworm!  I love it and I'm proud of it!! It's ok to be intelligent and educated.  I tell ya there's just something special about an intelligent conversation that's magical...  Make an effort to learn something new this week in honor of your favorite teacher.

Comments

Order Your Copy Today!

Translate