Skip to main content

Run For the Roses

If you live in Kentucky, and even if you don't, you know the first Saturday in May is reserved for the most lucrative event for milliners everywhere, Derby!  The array of colorful hats and sun dresses, silver cups filled with mint juleps, and the red carpet fanfare of celebrity sightings in the Bluegrass is a tradition that began over 130 years ago.  Derby means something different for everybody, to some it's about the race, the tradition, the parties, BBQ, family gatherings, and others the gambling.  Although I've never been to the race, I watch it every year as I spend time at my Grandmother's house or with the rest of my family and there's 3 words the gamblers are always waiting to hear... Win, Place, and Show.

Well I don't gamble but I have my own personal Win, Place, Show..

WIN- win souls to Christ; he who wins souls is wise (Proverbs 11:30);  win over your enemy, submit yourself to God, resist the devil and he shall flee (James 4:7), all I can do is win because my Daddy is Victorious over everything, Jesus conquered hell, the grave, and took the sting out of death( Revelation 1:18)!

PLACE- place yourself in a praise, God inhabits the praises of His people (Psalm 22:3); place yourself in a posture of prayer,  humble yourself, seek His face and then He'll move (2 Chronicles 7:14); be in the right place at the right time, prepared and ready for battle; put on the whole armor of God (Ephesians 6:11-20) and be like the sons of Issachar (1 Chronicles 12:32), know what to do with it and the times.

SHOW- show the love of Christ, Jesus is love and that's how He drew us, with loving kindness (Jeremiah 31:3); show yourself a good steward of what God has given you, master your craft and multiply what He gave you (Matthew 25:14-30); show yourself knowledgeable and credible (2 Timothy 2:15) Study to shew theyself approved unto God, a workman needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

I don't know much about horse racing but the Bible tells me the race isn't given to the swift nor the battle to the strong (Ecclesiastes 9:11) so it's not about how fast or how hard you run.  God never meant for us to be running in circles trying to keep up with the other "horses" in the first place.   Keeping up with the Jones-es, as the old folk say, will get you killed.  Naturally and spiritually. 

Why covet your neighbor's anything, when God gave you so many wonderful things of your own? We were not created to be clones and have a hive mentality.  We are beautifully, wonderfully, masterfully and so intricately made  that God even knows the number of hairs on our individual heads.  He made us a peculiar people, a holy nation, a royal priesthood.  I've never seen royalty out racing a horse in the mud. They ride in the carriage and make grand entrances... sound like a gift making room to me.  Get comfortable in your own skin and learn to love yourself and the God in you. 

Stand up and boldly declare;  I am very much myself, and I love me! All that I am, have been, and ever will be, because I'm made like my daddy and He loves me!

Comments

Order Your Copy Today!

Translate