Skip to main content

I got 5 on it!


 


One of the things I set out to accomplish this month was writing a letter of interest and support for the upcoming ministry things that I'm working on.  So as I wrote the letter I found myself asking the recipients to make an investment in souls.  When I wrote the letter I was thinking investments in terms of planting seeds.  In the week following, I had several conversations with friends who were in the Valley of Decision, self included.  As I talked relationships with one of my friends, I asked if she was willing to invest in the guy again and give him the opportunity to get to the point he needed to be.  So later that week I was asking myself that same question. This made me think...

 Investments require risk.  Anything you're willing to pour into, you have to consider if the risk is worth taking and if so, how long are you willing to wait on the return in your investment?  I thought long and hard and definitely prayed about it.  I haven't made a decision yet, but some of the things I considered were the other party's investment in me, how Jesus made investments while He was here, and how He's still making them now.  So this is what I came up with...

When I looked at the investments of Jesus I saw twelve ordinary men who ended up doing extraordinary things.  Jesus didn't just grab some random people out of the multitude to be His chosen 12.  He saw something worth taking a risk on.  Each of them possessed qualities and traits that He knew would be valuable later.  He saw potential, but also took the time to develop the potential in each of them.  Jesus taught them along with the multitude, but also pulled them aside privately to pour into them and groom them. He called and commissioned them, trained and equipped them, and prepared them to go out and invest in others. Just with any financial investment, there are fluctuations in the stock.  The price may plummet, then skyrocket the next week. You never know.

These twelve men who were called by Jesus had fluctuation and variants as well.

  • Peter- lived by the sword and had a foot shaped mouth
  • Andrew- lived in his brother's shadow
  • James- had a little too much misguided zeal
  • John-was thunderous & zealous like James
  • Philip- was pessimistic and cynical
  • Nathaniel (Bartholomew)- was prejudice against Nazareth
  • Matthew- was a tax collector- the most despised profession
  • Thomas- was full of doubt 
  • James (the less)- thought to possibly  be very young small and quiet
  • Simon (the zealot)-part of a feared outlaw political party
  • Judas (not Iscariot)(Lebbaeus Thaddaeus)- not mush was said about him
  • Judas Iscariot- was a traitor
So you see even these special men who were God's choice had issues and flaws. Every person that God used had some flaws, some shortcomings, and issues BUT HE STILL INVESTED!  Not only do we see that with these men, but Adam, Moses, Noah, David, Rahab, Ruth, Samson, Esther, etc... you get my point... He was willing to invest in someone or something that wasn't so perfect.

Which leads me to self... and the current investments of Jesus.  Honey when I tell you I don't even deserve to be breathing... if God cut off my very next breath I wouldn't even be mad.  When I look at my life and all of the issues, shortcomings, doubt, faithless moments, epic failures, and just flat out disobedience.... MMMMMYYYY GOD!  Lord I thank you for not striking me down where I stand!  I don't deserve the breath in my body, yet He trusts me to minister to His people, He trusts me to spread this great Gospel, He entrusted me with the gift of healing, with prophetic intercession, with so many gifts and talents, but more than anything PURPOSE!  I still can't believe it.  Every day He lets the breath of life remain in my body He's investing in me again and again.  I appreciate it God! Not only does He breathe into me, but He LIVES ON THE INSIDE!  If that isn't an investment I don't know what is...

So when I go back to that decision I need to make, I have to consider that Jesus, and so many other people have been willing to invest in me, with no guarantee of a good return (except for Christ b/c his word will not return unto Him void), no absolute idea of what they'll get back or if I'll even have anything to give back.. I'm grateful and humbled at the same time.  You invest just by reading this blog... Thank you!  Now I'm not telling you to run and invest your time, energy, and efforts everywhere and in everybody... you have to be led by God. Invest only as the Holy Spirit leads you.  It's ok to say NO, it's ok to say not right now, It's ok to say I can't give anymore right now...

Be honest about where you are and what you have to invest in others. Invest out of abundance and not lack!  Let me say that again, INVEST OUT OF YOUR OVERFLOW, NOT A PLACE OF DEFICIT!  You're blessed to be a blessing!

Comments

Order Your Copy Today!

Translate